Friday, January 21, 2011

Toddler Room Makeover

    As every parent knows the transition from crib to toddler bed is a huge step. As us parents begin to wrap our mind around the impending freedom of our little one, our babes are blissfully unaware of the "big deal" the transition is going to be. Having your babe pick out new bedding for their new toddler bed is something of a rite of passage for most families, and this simple gesture can help ease the transition from totally enclosed to wide open spaces in the bed. For somewhat anal parents like myself, changing bedding calls for a mini extreme home makeover. My princess cannot have bedding that doesn't match every other aspect in her room, so the toddler bed transition is a full time project for the next months.
    As I began shopping around for new bedding the actual cost of such tiny bed sets  shocked me. A character screen print and cheap sheets costs upwards of $150, add that to the cost of new decorations and curtains and we are looking at spending a few hundred dollars! This astronomical price tag for less than desirable items left my mind reeling with ideas. Why do we have to spend all this money on ugly things to fit her new toddler day bed (which transitions out of the beautiful cottage chic, white crib she has)? After a few minutes of hard thinking I mastered the idea of spending time to piece together a one of a kind, designer esq bedroom for my princess in a shabby chic french country style tea party theme .
    With the help of a wonderful quilter on Etsy.com ( shop name: Zobabyblankies) I was able to hand select and create a handmade quilt for only $70, I am making her new curtains, a designer lace bed canopy, a matching big girl mobile to hang in the corner, throw pillows,a lamp shade cover, and even a table cloth for her little table all which costed less than $40, and I was lucky enough to find a beautiful vintage replica porcelin door knob, and a decorative teapot for less than $10. An entire room makeover for  $120 that blows the top off of any other pre-themed over priced store bought bed set.
    Being a parent that is trying to get back to the simple things has opened my eyes to what a little imagination and time can do. A few years ago I would have found a way to cough up the few hundred dollars it would take to settle for a cookie cutter room, but now as my thinking process converts to a simpler way of life I am pleasantly surprised with  the innovation and love this room will show. In a month or so after the room is put together I will take pics and post here for inspiration.

What ways have you saved money and out shined at the same time in your home? Tell me your "ta-da" moments, I love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment